Air Cargo
10. April 2024



After a year of strategic investments and renewal, Maastricht Aachen Airport is the preferred option for Malaysia AirlinesMaastricht Aachen Airport (MAA) has been chosen by Malaysia Airlines (MH) as the latest destination for a weekly cargo connection from Kuala Lumpur. The airport expects the first flight on April 13.

The scheduled weekly flight uses the relatively fuel-efficient and quiet MH Airbus A330F and makes MAA the second airport in Europe served by Malaysia Airlines, after Schiphol Amsterdam Airport (AMS).

“This is an important opportunity for MAA. Since Royal Schiphol Group (RSG) became the 40% owner of the airport last year, we have seen our volumes grow, especially in truck freight,” said Jonas Van Stekelenburg, Chief Executive Officer, MAA.

“Our new runway and close partnership with AMS are among the many reasons why we are a great cargo airport for MH for inbound and outbound cargo.”

“Our location, professional team and efficient handling are excellent preconditions for attracting cargo flights. And being part of RSG accelerates our growth and popularity within Europe as a top freight destination.”

RSG invested in MAA last year, acquiring 40 percent of the shares in the airport. The remaining 60 percent is owned by the province of Limburg.

Since then, both shareholders have invested €30 million in the new runway, which was renovated last year, and MAA is currently investing more than €40 million in further upgrades to infrastructure, IT and real estate.

Malaysia Airlines is the third airline to (re)start on MST this year; Royal Jordanian Airlines was welcomed back after a hiatus due to fleet renewal and Pegasus Airlines will launch a passenger route to Antalya, Turkey in April.

Original article

Image source: