The ARETE Investment Group, industrial real-estate player in Czech Republic and Slovakia, considers responsible investing as one of its priorities. By implementing their ESG strategy, they have become one of the first so-called “light green” real estate funds in the Czech Republic, being one of the pioneers in the local capital market to introduce international standards.
“It is clear that capital appreciation can be achieved in a socially responsible manner. Therefore, our ARETE INDUSTRIAL investment fund evaluates not only financial but also social, environmental, and ethical factors in its investment decision-making process,” explains ARETE’s ESG Manager, Josef Novotný.”It is clear that capital appreciation can be achieved in a socially responsible manner. Therefore, our ARETE INDUSTRIAL investment fund evaluates not only financial but also social, environmental, and ethical factors in its investment decision-making process,” adds Josef.
The implementation of the ESG strategy is just the beginning. They also aim to further develop and extend their sustainability policy in the future and potentially expand our criteria considered for the fund’s investments.
The ARETE Group primarily supports sustainability in these areas:
- They reduce energy demand and carbon footprint of their assets:
- At least 80 % of the properties in the ARETE INDUSTRIAL fund portfolio must have BREEAM certification rating of “Very Good.”
- They will install photovoltaic panels on all roofs within our property portfolio where technically feasible.
- They commit to achieving zero use of electricity produced from fossil fuels by no later than the end of 2050.
- They are committed to reducing direct greenhouse gas emissions and aim to achieve net-zero emissions by no later than the end of 2050.
- They support biodiversity:
- Within their group, they will continue our long-term collaboration with organizations that support biodiversity protection. Their support primarily involves providing financial contributions to their activities, cooperation, and consultation during new construction projects.
- They have committed, as a group, to plant one tree for every 500 square meters of a newly built lettable area.
- We support the protection of conversation areas and endangered wildlife species.
- Water Resource Protection and Waste Management:
- Theye have been working on waste reduction and recycling in the construction of buildings. At least 60% of waste from new construction projects will be designated for recycling.
- They care for the health, safety, and well-being of employees and tenants:
- They regularly ask our tenants and group employees about their satisfaction with their workplace environment. This includes lighting, air circulation and filtration, adequate breakout areas, and collaboration on monitoring and reducing CO2 emissions and other sustainability factors.
- They commit to conducting an annual tenant and employee satisfaction survey.
- They create sufficient breakout areas in all ARETE Group spaces.
- Within the group, we promote long-term collaboration with tenants. For ARETE INDUSTRIAL, the fund’s goal is to enter into long term lease agreements for a period of five or more years and to maintain occupancy levels within the fund’s portfolio at a minimum of 90 %.
- They support local communities:
- They have been supporting local communities and nonprofitcorganizations. In the past year, they contributed one hundred thousand Czech crowns to the Olympie football club in Zdice. They also provided a financial grant of half a million Czech crowns to the town of Zdice for community development. Similarly, they supported the town of Rokycany and local associations with a total amount of one hundred and sixty thousand Czech crowns.
- Their employees regularly participate in voluntary activities to support the environment, such as tree planting and waste cleanup.
- They support charitable organizations, including the Czech Ski School of Amputees (CSSA), which assists individuals with lower limb amputations. They, also contributed to ALSA, Nedoklubko, and the Chance for Cancer Children Foundation through participation in charitable beach volleyball tournament.
- They advocate ethical values in management and governance:
- They commit to an ethical code and whistleblowing rules. They have established a policy for proper governance, and in the future, we will collaborate with suppliers who also adhere to the ARETE Group’s Code of Ethics. They regularly inform and train company employees on the above policies and rules, including the ESG strategy, its implementation, and the subsequent compliance with individual criteria.
- They promote gender equality and ethical values:
- As a group, they have consistently advocated and supported gender equality. They fill job positions primarily based on the assessment of candidates’ experience, skills, and abilities. The values and work habits of candidates, which must align witht heir corporate culture and ethical code, also play a role in selection. In terms of compensation, the group has implemented a fair and non-discriminatory remuneration policy to close gender pay gap.
Original article HERE
Image source: arete.eu